Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Baby names


I know it's a really big deal to choose a name, and it can be really stressful and seem impossible when you can't think of the perfect one. And you think of all the things each name means to you, and how it sounds, and how someone could mistake it or mess it up, or it could mean something slightly different than you mean, etc.   I went through that choosing Penny's name.  But what I found was that all the things you currently have associated with every name in the world will very quickly disappear as soon as you meet (and name) your baby.  Once it's your baby's name, and you know your baby, that is the only thing that name will mean from then on.  I am constantly forgetting that a penny (the coin) is the same word as Penny.  In my mind, Penny is just the name of my daughter, and all the other associations it used to have are totally gone. So, my point is that choosing a name is important, but it's not as consequential as you think (as long as you don't choose a crazy name).  The name becomes your kid so quickly, and once it's your kid, you love it and can't imagine anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment