Friday, July 27, 2012

Worries about getting big

Letter from Pregnant Friend:
Making my neurosis worse was a dinner with friends we had last week. The husband, who I do really like, went on and on about how he can’t imagine how big I’m going to get, that I seem too small to carry two babies, etc. I had to restrain myself from slapping him and reminding him that I am very anxious about those things.

Letter to Pregnant Friend:
Honestly, I don't know what it'll be like to have twins.  Knowing you, they probably won't be massively huge kids.  But really, even if you have reasonably sized babies, or even, like me, just one nearly 8 lb baby, you are definitely going to be uncomfortable at the end.  You will certainly, without a doubt, be large and cumbersome and achy.  It will come.  And then it will pass.  And then you will have a family.  And they will be gorgeous, sweet-smelling, adorable, intensely lovable tiny things.  And you'll forget all about the few achy uncomfortable weeks.  I know it sounds like a fantasy right now, and it'll feel like a fantasy until the moment they're born, but it's real, they're real, and they're worth it.  The end of pregnancy is just the price you pay for meeting your healthy happy amazing babies.  So, yes, expect to be big and feel gross.  Embrace it.  And try not to worry too much about how bad it will be.  You'll manage.  You're a tough lady, and you can definitely endure it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment